Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Welded Chair

I haven't really talked very much here about my welding class and that is mostly because it has been a blessedly low-key class. We haven't had anything due in quite a while but it has been expected that we are busy working on our final project - a steel chair. Unfortunately, it would be bad form to use the steel chair I just finished for studio so I have designed another steel sitting place. I can't say there is anything too special about the chair. I designed it with one goal in mind, easy. I wanted to make something that would use all of the things I have learned but not something that would take forever to execute well. I decided to have a pattern laser-cut into the steel which would create interest and allow me to make the form fairly simple.


This was nice because I was able to learn the laser-cutting procedure in a fairly low-pressure scenario. But I had an incredibly difficult time with the pattern. I really wish I had known some textile designers at the school by then because I really didn't know where to start. In the end, I think it works but it could have been more interesting. The chair is due this Thursday but we have until December 6th to put a finish on it. The teacher is really relaxed and is very aware that her class is low on the time-priority list for many of us.

No comments: