Saturday, January 26, 2008

Warp-Faced Thing

So, some of you might have noticed the odd looking object popping out at the bottom of my rug samples...

A few days before our samples were due the instructor demonstrated another technique. Up until then, we had been working on weft-faced techniques. (Important information: The warp runs vertically through the entire rug . The weft is laid in horizontally string by string.) In weft-faced construction it is the weft that is most visible. If the warp is laid down with less space between each string the warp becomes more visible and is thus called warp-faced construction.

Last semester, I made a small footstool out of plastic tubes woven together with yarn. During the development process I had also woven some flexible plastic tubing. Even though it wasn't the direction I wanted to pursue for that project I really liked the sample and wanted to come back to it at some point (See Value Container post). This warp-faced technique was the perfect opening.

It took me seven hours to string my warp and set up the loom. This particular technique is time intensive on the front end but the weaving process is really quick since the weft is somewhat irrelevant.



A few hours of weaving and I had this...

Six feet of something. Here it is sitting in a folding chair. The long-term plan is to make some sort of chair frame and have it become the seat and back. Given its length it might turn into more of a lounge chair.

No comments: