Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Extra Credit

While developing ideas for my final project, I wanted to try weaving a scarf. I set up the warp with enough length for three attempts but decided to call it quits at two. The warp string I was using was a textured raw silk in a neutral color. I considered adding some additional colors into the warp but didn't want to have to deal with the same vertical color pattern in each of the scarves. In the end, the warp gave me considerable trouble as it was fragile and easily tangled.

You can see in this close-up shot that a few of the warp strands have broken. In the end, I didn't mind the effect but it was a little tiresome dealing with it in the moment.

The scarves are quite structural and not as soft as I was anticipating. I have been told that washing them in a mild soap will loosen the fibers a bit. However, in the meantime I have grown to like their strength in terms of appearance. Athough, you have to have a long neck for them to even really be bearable to wear. I have also considered adding buttons in certain places to emphasize their weight but that requires time and I have been spending it in other ways the past couple weeks.

No comments: