Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thanks All Around

I woke up 6am yesterday morning anticipating a difficult day but by lunch time I had everything under control! I owe a big "thank you" to Mike at Replicast and Bill at WT Wilson for their help with the plastic and metal processes respectively.

Mike handled (no pun intended...) the making of the silicone mold and the new plastic pattern to replace the original fragile plaster. Most of his business is in the making of prototypes for companies like Hasbo (kids toys) and his shop is just full of molds.

Bill took the mold that Mike made and poured 500 degree molten tin into it...and out came the metal hand. Bill makes little trinkets of the type sold in gift stores. He had little tin army men laying around in droves.

He made three sets of hands from the mold but the first set happened to be the best. He can melt the other two down and reuse the material. I would have liked to have some extra copies but the things came out weighing ten pounds each so I think aluminum might be a better choice of material. I owe another thanks to Phil (a classmate) who helped me figure out an amazingly simple solution for attaching the hands to the wall. He literally shaved hours of work time off of my day.

No comments: