Thursday, November 20, 2008

And back again.

Ideas really do move in circles.

For my first thesis project, initially, I had wanted to make a hollow sphere form that would crack and shift along certain designated points. After consultation, I decided the idea would take too long to develop and so I began to concentrate on using foam on the inside for structure. Very quickly the idea became very complicated. Foam, upholstery, leather, bungee cord...and the list goes on. While trying to ignore the difficulties I stumbled upon something even better.


I took the leather pieces from the model I had previously made and began experimenting with ways of attaching them together. When connected only at the points, the pieces had room to shift and bend creating really interesting shapes. So I have left the foam and the complication behind and am moving towards the interesting. I am not sure how the final product will "work" but I know I will have a lot more fun making it. As I mentioned in my last post, this project has provided a nice basis for starting to think about color. I have some different leather dyes arriving tomorrow and the leather cord comes in tons of colors.



No comments: