Friday, February 13, 2009

Decision Made

Today is the end of Wintersession. I spent all week finishing up my piece and met with my instructor this morning to discuss the result.

After using Photoshop to visualize the metal frame in various colors, I decided to paint the floating box element white and the support pole a charcoal gray. As soon as I saw the painted elements I knew I had made the right decision. The color really helps unify the piece and gives it a more considered appearance. I used spray paint to cover the metal and had to prime, paint and seal the entire piece in one day. My index finger is still numb at the tip from pressing down on the nozzle all day. I am not sure how well or how long the paint job will hold up but for now it is satisfactory.

The finished piece is a little over six feet tall and has quite a strong presence for being such a straightforward gesture. I am very pleased by how it turned out and can imagine a grouping of them in a room being quite intriguing. My instructor had the great suggestion to draw the finished piece. As designers and makers, my classmates and I often use sketching as a necessary development and construction tool. But once decisions are made we rarely go back to the paper to document the end result. There are some artists who do not sell their physical work but instead sell the documentation of it. This is especially true for artists like Christo and Jeanne-Claude who work with large outdoor installations. I thought the drawings might be a fun may to explore my projects at the next level.

No comments: