Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thesis Exhibition Space

As a part of the thesis process we are required to mount a show of our work. The school provides a space but it is less than ideal. It is located in a RISD building which is not accessible to the public and the building itself is home to the upholstery studio and the alternative materials space so it is always junked out with the remnants of student work. Not ideal. After having spent so much of my time and energy working on the pieces I would hate for only a few people to see them. So, with my classmate Ruth, I went in search of a different space and found the perfect spot. It is an empty retail space on the corner of a block with windows wrapping around the perimeter.


The owners were willing to rent it to us at a reduced rate for a month each. Ruth will be having her show in April and I will be up from May 15th to June 14th. I am excited about having my work in a beautiful space that people can actually visit. My show will coincide with the large grad show held yearly in the convention center so hopefully I can direct people to my space from the furniture booth at the show. I would love to sell some of my work - my apartment just can't take any more stuff. I am hoping to find another student to share the space with me. Preferrably someone whose work would hang on the walls so the distinction between our work would be clear. And preferrably someone who knows a lot of people so they can help bring people into the space.

No comments: