Thursday, May 15, 2008

A sneak peak

I officially present my final project for chair studio next Friday, but I thought I would give everyone a little glimpse of my progress. Capturing the project in photographs continues to be difficult so I have mostly detail shots to share. Once everything is in place I can share a more complete picture.

The single chair has now become a dependent pair. The ropes supporting each seat are channeled through pulleys on the ceiling and then back down into the next chair. They work like a see-saw or scale of sorts.

The ropes are weighed down at the feet to keep them in tension. I found the weights first and had difficulty finding pulleys that would match. In the end, I purchased iron pulleys that had been galvanized, removed the coating through sand-blasting, and then applied a chemical that darkens the iron to a black.

I still need to weave and attach the seat backs and to work on my presentation. I think I am going to go back to some of my earlier models and make them more a finished product in themselves. Also, I want to make a black curtain to place behind the chairs. I think it will be interesting how different they appear against a white background and a black.

No comments: