Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Powder Coating

My part of the steel chair is done and it has been sent off to be powder coated. Powder coating is a type of dry coating, which is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The coating is applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin." Typically this process has a minimum fee of $200, no matter the size, color, etc. BUT, a girl in my class had a special connection and we found a guy who is doing my whole chair for $25. That "hallelujah" sound you hear in the background is Graham rejoicing at my bargain! In the end the chair will be a pearly-white which should nicely show off the shapes and shadows. I had two moments of weakness. First for a metallic hot pink which I was quickly told would look nauseating. Second, for a metallic gold which I decided would detract from the pattern. However, I still want a piece of bling furniture so I am going to take a little stool I had made as a test for another project and get it painted gold! If the guy does a good job I am planning on taking my pieces for my final studio project which I need painted black. Honestly, even if he does a bad job I will probably take them because he is just so cheap. Here is a photo of the finished chair before finish.


No comments: