Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shelves for Sale...

In Design for Production our first task was to re-design an existing object. Our teacher brought in several IKEA products ranging from napkins holders to picture frames to paper trays and we were charged with choosing one and adapting it to be made in wood and with a higher degree of quality. I chose a small wall shelf and set about making some changes. We have to build a minimum of six identical shelves with a price estimate between $30 and $60. Honestly, I think that price range is undervaluing our work. Even fake wood wall shelves at West Elm can sell for almost $200! My design attempts to make use of the multiples I am required to create by having each shelf relate to the next.

Each shelf was supposed to be composed of a minimum of three components. There could be more than three pieces of wood but only three different shapes. This is supposed to cut down on production time. Unfortunately, my instructor came up with the brilliant idea of keeping my wood grain continuous throughout the shelf! A good idea but it has meant a lot more work. Plus, I think my three components were only halfway identical since the joints happen on different sides on different pieces.

The project is due on Monday and I still have one big thing to figure out - how they attach to the wall. I know how it is often done but I don't have the hardware on hand. Fortunately, the step down acts as a sort of bracket and the shelves are small so they won't need to hold too much weight.

No comments: