Saturday, March 29, 2008

Graham's "Recliner"

Graham and I have been having some problems with the furniture arrangement in our living room and a couple months ago Graham got it into his head that a recliner was a solution to the problem. After moving all our existing furniture around a few times and happening on no ready solution I gave in and decided to build Graham a chair myself.

There were quite a few requirements on Graham's side - the seat needed to be at a height where it wouldn't strain his knees when his feet were propped up, he wanted to be able to lean back and rest his head, and he wanted good back support when sitting up straight. My only real requirement was that I could build it quickly in the week I had off from school.


I decided to make a sort of glorified bean bag chair. The design is a series of pillows stacked up on top of each other. Each pillow is filled with buckwheat hulls - they are firm but malleable, and environmentally friendly. Graham and I went scouting at a local fabric favorite and came away with four different fabrics for the pillows. Each of the pillows also has an inside casing so the covers can be taken off and washed.

No comments: